Sunday, September 6 – Amen, I Say to You

Home Forums Word of the Week Sessions Sunday, September 6 – Amen, I Say to You

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Sunday, September 6 – Amen, I Say to You
    • Posted by pbegeman on September 5, 2020 at 10:53 pm #108381

[link to full email]: https://mailchi.mp/coutreach/word-of-the-week-sep6

[excerpt from email]: “Within the wider fellowship emerges the special circle of a few on whom, for each of us, a particular emphasis of nearness has fallen. These are our special gift and task. These we ‘carry’ by inward, wordless prayer. By an interior act and attitude we lift them repeatedly before the throne and hold them there in power. This is work, real labor of the soul. It takes energy but it is done in joy. … From each individual the bonds of special fellowship radiate near and far. The total effect, in a living Church is sufficient intersection of these bonds to form a supporting, carrying network of love for the whole of humankind. … It is as if the boundaries of our self were enlarged, as if we were within them and as if they were within us.”

Examen:  Again, we are called – appointed, says the prophet – to form a worldwide network of lifting up humanity “before the throne” on the altars of our hearts, in the power of Christ, in the radiance of love-incarnate.

• Posted by Kathleen M. Kelly on September 6, 2020 at 12:20 pm #108389

i wonder if the great ideological divide in our country and our church might be a collective way of displacement of angst….anxiety over  our lack of control  over our lives, and how our security is threatened . it certainly mitigates against the attachment to affection and esteem  we so want, unless we are trying to find it in our tribe.

this morning i am led  to just be with the discomfiting state, rather than seek to make theories about it and lay blame.

whew! God is good!

• Posted by Frances Ayres on September 6, 2020 at 2:39 pm #108393

The words that resonate with me are, “It is as if the boundaries of our self were enlarged, as if we were within them and as if they were within us.” This past week as I prayed for the suffering world, I was overcome with sadness.  Yet, that is my task: to being that suffering to the Divine and hold it there no matter how difficult the emotions are that rise within me.

• Posted by linda rhead on September 6, 2020 at 9:14 pm #108397

Sunday September 6: Amen, I Say to You

The continuing theme of lifting up humanity before the throne also speaks to a continuing diligence on each individual’s part of a willingness to bear their own pain. During the course of this year, what work I may have done to finally bear my own pain from the past became a foundational work upon which I have to continue bearing new pains, daily pains. I have to be hones; I don’t particularly like that work, which is why I avoided it for decades. Yet I understand, on some inner level, how important bearing my own pain is to be able to bear my share of the world’s pain. The network of love keeps me supported and I thank you all for that support. <3 linda

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.