Sunday July 24: Because of Our Quiet

Home Forums Word of the Week Sessions Sunday July 24: Because of Our Quiet

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Sunday July 24: Because of Our Quiet
    • Posted by pbegeman on July 20, 2022 at 7:41 pm #126521

Practice:

• Elsewhere in Seeing Anew, Lehane Sheehan writes ‘Meditation, contemplation, stillness, and prayer are often adhered to as a kind of quick ritual so we can produce even more, be more effective, be more successful … [However] contemplative practice is more essentially about … self-surrender than self-fulfillment’. This week as a vestibule to your practice, renew your intention to simply consent to God’s presence and action in you and your life and let go of all expectations.
      • “Because of our quiet”: As you move through daily life, intend for the love of Christ’s presence, pulsating at the heart of everything, to break through you.

You can view the full email reflection here: https://mailchi.mp/coutreach/word-of-the-week-july24

• Posted by linda rhead on July 24, 2022 at 1:00 pm #126697

Sunday July 24: Because of Our Quiet

Pray. Surrender. Just be. We must be filled with still if we are to mirror others’ images to them “for a moment with a clear, perhaps even fiercer life because of our quiet.” This level of stillness comes from fidelity to the practice, “the contemplative’s way of door knocking.” Let me know via “this simple buy not easy practice” this week and always. <3 linda

• Posted by Adeline Behm on July 24, 2022 at 2:46 pm #126701

As I participate in this historic “pilgrimage”, this week,  the words: ASK, SEEK, KNOCK, SURRENDER plunge me into a deep abyss of listening with a “new heart”……….

• Posted by Susan Kenney on July 26, 2022 at 3:11 pm #126791

Self-surrender not self-fulfillment:  so clear. So difficult. Sue.

• Posted by Jeannie L on July 26, 2022 at 11:23 pm #126803

The meditation on ‘praying hard’ touched me.  Yes, I have done that: and yes, it becomes all about my effort, about my trying to control an outcome. Less ‘praying hard’, more silence, approaching everything in my life from a contemplative stance – that is the gift of Centering Prayer for me.  I learn to trust that God is already at work: my job, if you will, is to ask, seek, knock, and surrender.

“This ‘praying hard’ is exhausting. After a while on the spiritual journey most of us discover that our way of praying changes, that there is less ‘praying hard’ and more silence. [Praying this way] simply becomes a way of being, a way of seeing in the ordinary events of our lives, practicing a contemplative presence whereby we approach every encounter, every activity, every meeting from a contemplative stance, trusting that God is already at work in people’s lives…”

• Posted by Adeline Behm on July 30, 2022 at 6:34 pm #126987

At the beginning of the week I found the image disgusting, upsetting, then this  morning following an intense week of “walking with Pope Francis on his penitential pilgrimage”, the word peeling as the contemplative way of door knocking, is making sense if I consent to the presence and action. loved and mercy, of the great peeler.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Adeline Behm.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.