Sunday July 17: The Mystery of Divine Reciprocity

Home Forums Word of the Week Sessions Sunday July 17: The Mystery of Divine Reciprocity

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Sunday July 17: The Mystery of Divine Reciprocity
    • Posted by pbegeman on July 13, 2022 at 7:33 pm #126296

To Practice: Last week, we heard of a different hospitality, one offered on the open road, away from the security of one’s home.  Only the most compassionate was willing to take the risk. Has there been a time when you have “left your safe haven” and gone “to the margins”?  What did you learn, about the stranger and about yourself?  When have you experienced the “honor of giving and the humility of receiving?

You may wish to re-read these passages in the manner of Lectio Divina, perhaps aloud, to see what shimmers in your heart and mind? What speaks to your journey now?

The full email text may be found here: https://mailchi.mp/coutreach/word-of-the-week-july17

• Posted by Susan Kenney on July 17, 2022 at 1:37 pm #126376

To whom do we listen?  There were many voices in Martha’s head as she tried to  offer hospitality to  the Lord as best she could. Did she listen to the most important voice of all?  The voice of silence, that inner voice that is often overlooked.   Those of us who live in Sacramento have heard many voices about the American River Parkway and hospitality. Those among us who are unhoused have been pushed out of Old Sacramento, then downtown Sacramento. They then found hidden places, , camping  along the parkway.  Hospitality towards these campers has become a matter of public policy:  where can they stay?  How can they stay?  Where can they go?  So, to whom do we listen?  The sheriff, city council members, county supervisors ….or to the campers themselves?

• Posted by Adeline Behm on July 18, 2022 at 9:55 pm #126424

These words from Rumi: “Having died to self interest, she (love) risks everything and asks for nothing.” reverberating wordless  volumes churning in that deep abyss within. Julian’s phrase, “all shall be well and…” bubbles up.

For those who walk with us here in Canada July 24-29 you might find these 2 websites helpful: http://www.papalvisit.ca

and http://www.living withchrist.ca/pope

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Adeline Behm.
    • Posted by Susan Kenney on July 19, 2022 at 2:10 pm #126465

Thank you, Adeline. You have alerted me to the Pope’s “penitential pilgrimage” (his words). Let us be with him as he and we travel to the margins, to meet those we have marginalized and abused, to ask for forgiveness and seek their wisdom that we historically have denied.

• Posted by Adeline Behm on July 19, 2022 at 2:50 pm #126470

Thanks, Susan, you who have travelled to the margins have let your heart be changed, though this is a significant “penitential pilgrimage” there are more “to be walked with”.

• Posted by linda rhead on July 20, 2022 at 8:36 pm #126528

Sunday July 17: The Mystery of Divine Reciprocity

“Both the honor of giving and the humility of receiving are necessary halves of the equation.” Robin Kimmerer’s words shimmer this week as I reflect on this meditation. I know I can be a selfless giver. I need to work on being a humble receiver of the gifts of love from others. Keep me soft and open to receiving, Lord, and reckless in giving. Amen. <3 linda

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.