Sunday January 8: Going Home by Another Way

Home Forums Word of the Week Sessions Sunday January 8: Going Home by Another Way

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Sunday January 8: Going Home by Another Way
    • Posted by pbegeman on January 4, 2023 at 5:41 pm #130860

Practice

• This week, walk home from a place you usually visit by another way. What do you notice?
      • As an Epiphany gift, here is James Taylor’s musical version of Home By Another Way, which you can listen to here.

You may wish to re-read the full reflection here: https://mailchi.mp/coutreach/word-of-the-week-jan8

Please consider donating to support the Word of the Week program.  Any amount is greatly appreciated.

• Posted by tcf2_comcast_net on January 8, 2023 at 2:33 pm #131046

The treasure is at the beginning?   Does this refer to the conversion experience, with a powerful  surge  of joy and energy, that I had Almost 30 years ago?    I miss that but I understand why it’s gone

• Posted by Susan Kenney on January 8, 2023 at 5:56 pm #131055

Like Herod, we often protect our way of life, our sense of security. We might not use physical violence, but we often find fault with those who are poor, unhoused, suffer from addiction or mental illness. We look away when we happened upon them. We try to convince ourselves that they are not like us.  Can we go another way?  See the “other” differently, walk by places where they are, greet them, look at them?  Here in Sacrsmento about 350,000 are without power. Our privileged way of life blown away with the wind.

• Posted by Adeline Behm on January 14, 2023 at 5:05 pm #131493

This has been a week where I felt held in the depths of my being. The image captured my attention. I got out a magnifying lens to peer in the depths only to find myself. Eighty nine years ago  at 8 months I didn’t question the star within I was content to be loved into being, first daughter, first grand daughter. Today 89 years later the luminous figure on the donkey is me enveloped and guided by the light of the star. Surprisingly I am, too, the donkey, the being that carries a lot of other people’s stuff, often taken for granted, at the beck and call of others. Reminds me of the role of Joseph in the Incarnational unfolding. The tall figures are all my invisible support, such as this centering prayer community. Thanks for helping me recognize the star.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Adeline Behm.
    • Posted by linda rhead on January 17, 2023 at 11:13 pm #131658

Sunday January 8: Going Home By Another Way

“To dream another way…for gifts of human treasure not used for the tyranny of tribe, class, nation or ego.” Why is the word “tyranny” drawing my attention? Herod served as the “archetype of the level of consciousness willing to use brutality to maintain power.” What of the tyranny of my own mind, too easily willing to reject those who do not measure up to my standards? Forgive me, Lord, for I have sinned. Free me from the tyranny of myself. May it be so. <3 linda

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by linda rhead.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.