Sunday, January 30: They Thought They Knew

Home Forums Word of the Week Sessions Sunday, January 30: They Thought They Knew

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Sunday, January 30: They Thought They Knew
    • Posted by pbegeman on January 28, 2022 at 5:30 pm #121144

[link to full email]: https://mailchi.mp/coutreach/word-of-the-week-jan30

[excerpt from email]: At the level of mythic membership consciousness, acquired values and group loyalties make us blind to higher truths and a greater good. This level of consciousness derives power, security and esteem from absolute loyalty and conformity and does not allow for individuality, inclusivity, discernment and the development of conscience.  Mythic membership consciousness is described and typified in the many scriptural stories of “the crowds.” Crowds have stories, expectations, fears, prejudices and typically defend them through violence of one kind or another. This is as true today as it was 2000 years ago.

But Jesus states this unequivocally: “Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing.”

• Posted by linda rhead on January 30, 2022 at 4:10 pm #121207

Sunday January 30: They Thought They Knew

“Today this Scripture passage is fulfilled in your hearing.” What I hear in my journey now is it is time to step into my God-given destiny. “…in quietness and trust shall be your strength.” (Isaiah 30:15) Trust resonates deeply today. Jesus trusted the time and place for his ministry launch. I trust God to bless and protect my life as well. <3 linda

• Posted by Susan Kenney on January 31, 2022 at 2:32 am #121220

Our parish council met last week as part of the synodal process. Although we did not use the term “mythic membership”, each of us spoke of the confinement of our parish’s and our institutional church’s awareness. One by one, we spoke of our deep desire to break out of this confinement, to find our true voice, to risk moving past our comfortable identities. The pandemic had moved each of us to seek new expressions of our faith and to join more diverse communities. This was an important step to a new vision of church.

• Posted by Kathleen M. Kelly on January 31, 2022 at 3:41 pm #121227

<p style=”text-align: right;”>good morning !</p>
      <p style=”text-align: left;”>back when all four kids were little, i happened upon a tomie di paola story called The Little Friar that Flew. st. joseph of Cupertino stole my heart . i made a puppet of him and memorized the story so i could tell it with my puppet. I call him Joseph . back then, as now, i knew I was inadequate to the challenges facing me, but that I could trust God to manifest Godself in me. over all these years, i have enjoyed surprises and doing fun, clownlike things in the manner of joseph taking to the sky in his excitement over God’s presence. i think  he also was devoted to mary. Joseph , the puppet, is here with me now at our rental in Florida. when i travel , he goes in every hotel room. this morning i was feeling down and decided that i should pray throughout the day to my favorite saint, st joseph  of Cupertino.</p>
      kathyleen.

• Posted by Adeline Behm on January 31, 2022 at 4:32 pm #121231

My Synod group began last week, ages 50-90, men and women. Responses ranged from missing Sunday Mass, missing the community. One person shared that at the beginning of the pandemic the decision was made to join hearts with those in the Amazonian region who have Eucharist infrequently; a fasting time. Personally I yearn to hear from Indigenous persons, those 30 to 49, gender diverse. Does this mean I can join more than one Synod reflection group? “Today fulfilled in your hearing” , my heart is open. Two people that have challenged me: Gustavo Guttieries, Thick Nhat Hanh.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Adeline Behm.
    • Posted by pbegeman on January 31, 2022 at 11:45 pm #121249

Each of these posts thus far (Linda, Kathleen, Adeline and Susan) have touched me in different ways.  I so appreciate your sharing.  What resonates with me is the freedom to make conscious choices when awakened to the blindness of mythic membership consciousness.  I remember as a very young child having this clear sense of what was true and right for me — a kind of innate truth sensor.  When put into a religious grade school, I knew that what I was being taught about God was not true and stood my ground, even as a very shy and introverted child.  Looking back, there was some amazing moments of taking a different direction than “the crowd.” This truth sensor was lost and subjugated as I grew older and wanted to fit in and be liked.  But when I started the spiritual journey in my 30’s, it slowly resurfaced, along with a greater freedom to see differently and make different choices again. Alleluia! – Pamela

• Posted by carolyndgoddard_gmail_com on February 4, 2022 at 3:05 pm #121346

A sentence is read at the end of each Al-Anon meeting that I particularly like – “Take what you like and leave the rest.” To me that speaks of listening to all the people in the room who speak but knowing that only some of what is said might be right for me. This notion has helped me in other settings – the understanding that others may speak using different metaphors, find other things helpful. I am to take what is fitting for me – leave what might be useful for another, but not for me.

• Posted by pbegeman on February 4, 2022 at 4:23 pm #121348

Carolyn:  I very much like this phrase “Take what you like and leave the rest.” A good healthy affirmation free of judgement and full of freedom to choose.  Thanks for sharing. – Pamela

• Posted by Adeline Behm on February 5, 2022 at 4:36 pm #121364

Ah the wisdom of Al-Anon. “Take what you like and leave the rest”. Praying my way through this week  with “mythic membership consciousness” I was surprised  at the decisive boldness in my sharing/action in my little Synod reflection group. A new awareness, part of my morning gratitude, at all stages of the unfolding of my life (my journey through the ‘human condition’) God was there just as much as the “decisive boldness” experience this week whispering: “Take what you like(though I now say ‘need’) and leave the rest(in God’s hands)”. Now when I want to ‘feel bad’ (helpless, etc) with respect to earlier events in my life, humility is called for. I am grateful for my Al-Anon friends and consultants for their wisdom. Some twenty-five years ago people began showing up in my life for their 5th-step. I needed a lot of coaching first to understand AA and the wisdom of the inventory. My life unfolds in stages; each stage is necessary; God-anonymous ( a phrase of one of my Al-Anon friends) is shaping me. I am so grateful for the Word of the Week and for all of you. When people ask for prayers I do hold up each person the God who is becoming less and less anonymous in our lives.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.