Sunday, January 16: Christophany

Home Forums Word of the Week Sessions Sunday, January 16: Christophany

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Sunday, January 16: Christophany
    • Posted by pbegeman on January 14, 2022 at 4:29 pm #120841

[link to full email]: https://mailchi.mp/coutreach/word-of-the-week-jan16

[excerpt from email]: “To be a contemplative is to be willing to be loved [abundantly], concretely in every detail of life and on every level of human life, body, soul and spirit. If you are merely thinking of receiving the Eucharist as a ritual, go home. That’s not what it is … [it’s] primarily about the interpenetration of spirits—all that we are into all that God is, and all that God is into all that we are, including every detail of our life, every concern, joy and suffering. In other words, we got a life companion of infinite capabilities all lined up in our favor and ready to go.” – Thomas Keating, Reflections on the Unknowable

• Posted by Susan Kenney on January 16, 2022 at 11:08 am #120880

”There is no other”. They live in cars, trailers, tents. Along the river, on city streets, in parking lots. In the capital city of the richest state in the richest country, 195 of them died in 2021. Often alone and unhoused. They cry to be seen, to be valued, to be not “the other” but one of us. Can we embrace them with our love, enfolding them into our common humanity? They will be at the center of my silence this week.

• Posted by FrDavid on January 16, 2022 at 12:17 pm #120882

It is difficult at time for me to believe that I am a “Living Eucharist” and that I am Bread and Wine to be offered to everybody, every creature, every thing- a channel  of human/divine love and compassion. In a real sense, I am “the wedding of Cana” if I allow God’s flow of love and compassion to add more wine which are gifts of love and compassion.

• Posted by MarleneOSB on January 16, 2022 at 1:15 pm #120885

Jesus “revealed his glory” at Cana. He waits to reveal the same glory in me and can do so, even when I’m being clueless and less than mindful. But what a great day today or any day can be when I/we make this the intention of the day!  And what comes to me more and more lately is that Jesus’ glory in me/us is continually meeting His glory in others.  What a day/week  this can be if I really pay  attention/intention to all this glory being poured out all around me…like that wonderful wine that came from ordinary water…

• Posted by Adeline Behm on January 16, 2022 at 8:09 pm #120892

“I am a Christophany”! With attention/intention I begin this week. Hearing the word of God read this morning at virtual Eucharist, I was like sucked into Mary’s Christophany as she simple says: “They have no wine.” No request, no expectation. Something clicked. I am no longer part of planning committees; often I am not consulted; someone else is the executive director. I find myself simply voicing with compassion the equivalent of:  “They have no wine”. I am open to this awareness  as this week unfolds. I am not forgotten, I have a voice. I am love abundantly! (A whole new waking up! is happening).

• Posted by Kathleen M. Kelly on January 17, 2022 at 12:54 pm #120912

reading this weeks offering and your texts above , i am just gobsmacked by the beauty of it all. You each inspire me.

yesterday, i was graced  to do the first and second readings in church. To hear  these things come out of my mouth and in the presence of my brothers and sisters is more than i can describe. thank you, all. kathleen

• Posted by Brenda Bayne on January 18, 2022 at 12:20 pm #120937

“…each of us and every human being is a Christophany, a manifestation of the living Christ – a divine + human being …” – from To Practice.

I aim to consciously carry this forward into this week and beyond, and I thank you all for the inspiration you all are.  Written, spoken in the Zoom sessions or in silent holding.

• Posted by Susan Kenney on January 21, 2022 at 3:11 pm #120997

“How does your concern affect me?”  Why should we care about the people of Tonga, the small island nation near Fiji ? Nearly a week ago, an immense volcanic eruption buried the country in ash, flooded its many islands and cut the underwater cable that delivered internet service. Ships from Fiji and New Zealand are en route with clean water, food and other supplies. We might consider the country “poor”,  with little money and few of the resources  we  call essential.  However, the people are rich in tradition and compassion   They provide a living example of mutual caring and respect.   Some of us have come to know them through those who have come here, often to earn a living as caregivers   Let us pray that the essential resources are provided to them so that they might recover and continue to be an example of how to be a loving presence in the world

• Posted by linda rhead on January 21, 2022 at 7:56 pm #121002

Sunday January 16: Christophany

This week my active prayer sentence is “seek the mystery of Christ”. All I do, everyone I encounter, I try to see with Christ’s eyes. During a period of deep frustration, I sensed and pondered upon a deeper joy. How can I be joyful amidst such frustration? In a sense, Jesus could also have felt frustration with Mary’s request, yet honored it. May I honor God’s requests with grace. <3 linda

• Posted by Adeline Behm on January 22, 2022 at 8:45 pm #121023

Simply “they have no wine” equivalents this week were plentiful. A new awareness of my tendencies to doubt and step in. In gratitude for this awareness, I renew my desire: May your will be done!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.