Sunday February 20: Refracting The Light

Home Forums Word of the Week Sessions Sunday February 20: Refracting The Light

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Sunday February 20: Refracting The Light
    • Posted by pbegeman on February 17, 2022 at 5:44 pm #121699

[link to full email]: https://mailchi.mp/coutreach/word-of-the-week-feb20

[excerpt from email]: “Transformation into Christ is the theological basis for understanding a contemplative vocation in the world. The term ‘vocation’ is derived from the Latin vocare, which means ‘to call.’ To follow one’s vocation is to respond to the universal call … to love. How we best love in the world will depend on our particular set of skills, passions, shortcomings, and so on. By way of analogy, we are like prisms, each refracting the pure light of Christ in the world through our uniqueness and particularities. Some refract red, some green, some blue or violet. The source of the light is One, but the manner in which it is refracted is virtually infinite … The Christian vocation is not to mimic Christ but rather to allow Christ to recapitulate in each of us what he did in his public ministry, that is, to mediate the very presence and love of God in the world as only we are uniquely able.” – Vincent Pizutto, Contemplating Christ

• Posted by carolyndgoddard_gmail_com on February 20, 2022 at 12:45 pm #121798

I can only assume that I refract various colors a different times, but I hope the main color I refract is blue. I associate blue with peace – a quiet, clear lake; an uncluttered, sun-lit sky. I know at time the water within me is muddied, the sky is foreboding. I have come to accept that I will not always refract a sunny blue,  there are various shades and kinds of blues in life. Grace can gurgle up through any mud, shine through any kind of cloud cover.

• Posted by Adeline Behm on February 20, 2022 at 8:12 pm #121817

For some time now I have been paying attention to the Indigenous peoples, mostly Cree and Metis where I live. Perhaps the color that best captures light that flows from me is creeson, a moderate yellow-green color  that is deeper green than moss green and darker that pea green. As I begin this week I am open to the Spirit speaking into my life through the prism of my being.

• Posted by linda rhead on February 20, 2022 at 9:11 pm #121819

Sunday February 20: Refracting The Light

How is the light of Christ refracted through the prism of my life? As a prism breaks light down into its component colors, then my own brokenness must serve as the prism through which Christ’s love shines. Shortcomings is another way to say broken: If I were whole, I would not be short. Yet, my viewing others with love, through my shortcomings, allows me to see Christ in them more clearly. It is as if God has allowed my pain to make me whole by passing it through Divine Love’s prism. <3 linda

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by linda rhead.
    • Posted by MarleneOSB on February 21, 2022 at 9:47 pm #121855

This Gospel passage and the various reflections offered with it leave me almost speechless.  I’m challenged, and delighted, and feel confirmed in my journey.  Recently I dreamed of an almost unspeakably beautiful green tree,  and I’m not usually one to remember my dreams, much less notice color.  But green has always been my color, perhaps as a sign of constant hope, of fresh new life, of an “Amen” that gives a green light of “Yes” to God’s action.

• Posted by Susan Kenney on February 22, 2022 at 1:42 am #121860

Refracting Light:  I believe that my color is yellow. Sometimes pale like a muted background   And sometimes, an event or a person or a memory or a song changes the color to a bright yellow, bursting with energy and light

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.