Sunday August 23: Who Do You Say That You Are?

Home Forums Word of the Week Sessions Sunday August 23: Who Do You Say That You Are?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Sunday August 23: Who Do You Say That You Are?
    • Posted by pbegeman on August 22, 2020 at 8:32 pm #107913

[link to full email]: https://mailchi.mp/coutreach/word-of-the-week-aug23

[excerpt from email]: “As the prayer life reaches some degree of realization … the [pray-er] begins to be able to be a doer of the Word and not merely a hearer. One begins to be able really to love all other beings as one’s self. This is simply not possible before one remembers and identifies with one’s natural face, the central self in which God’s agape is the source of life.”
      -Beatrice Bruteau, Prayer and Identity

Examen: Who do others say that you are?  Who do you say that you are? Practice detaching your sense of identity from all descriptors.  Simply rest as a beloved in Christ.

• Posted by lmclewell on August 23, 2020 at 12:44 pm #107932

Prayers for AC & family & recovery from Covid

• Posted by CWRjr on August 23, 2020 at 1:06 pm #107933

When I celebrated 65 years old, seven years ago, my family gave me a large wall hanging that offered 65 different reasons why they loved me.  Needless to say, I treasure it as the most concise example of “Who I am” by ones who I love dearly.

Who am I?  As I prepare to turn 72, I am husband, father, grandfather and friend.  To bring the ‘kingdom of God’ into the world each day, I cannot detach myself from those roles.  It is for them and for all living beings that I attempt to practice the two great commandments and the gift of the Holy Spirit — love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, to which I also add forgiveness and generosity.  Maybe the more succinct answer is that God is Love and I am blessed that it flows through me.

• Posted by Shawn Hampton on August 23, 2020 at 8:26 pm #107939

I loved this post.  It reminds me of “True Self vs False Self” and the Buddhist Koan: “What was the face you had before you were born?”

• Posted by Kathleen M. Kelly on August 24, 2020 at 12:25 pm #107950

going to the heart level as i return  to god throughout the day seems a good way to disengage from any commentaries about who ( i think) i am. of course each day,  i cobble together a self to function but it is not real , just a facsimile.

• so, my intention is ro listen  from the heart, speak from the heart and act from that wordless place within.

wish me luck!

• Posted by linda rhead on August 24, 2020 at 4:13 pm #107952

Sunday, August 23: Who Do You Say That You Are?

Who do others say that I am? Mother. Daughter. Sister. Friend. Coworker. Student. Author. Athlete.

Who do I say that I am? God’s Beloved. Nothing else matters. linda<3

• Posted by Kathleen M. Kelly on August 25, 2020 at 1:07 pm #107968

my reflection above ended with “wish me luck”. well my attempt  to speak from the heart totally backfired. the speech went through the false self to somebody else’s’ false self and feelings were hurt!

i guess “luck” was the wrong word to use.

• Posted by Adeline Behm on August 29, 2020 at 11:12 pm #108049

This week I  noticed I do leave descriptors behind during Centering Prayer. I am just me BELOVED.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.