Home › Forums › Word of the Week › Sessions › Sunday August 23: Who Do You Say That You Are?
- This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 7 months ago by Adeline Behm.
- Sunday August 23: Who Do You Say That You Are?
[link to full email]: https://mailchi.mp/coutreach/word-of-the-week-aug23
[excerpt from email]: “As the prayer life reaches some degree of realization … the [pray-er] begins to be able to be a doer of the Word and not merely a hearer. One begins to be able really to love all other beings as one’s self. This is simply not possible before one remembers and identifies with one’s natural face, the central self in which God’s agape is the source of life.”
-Beatrice Bruteau, Prayer and Identity
Examen: Who do others say that you are? Who do you say that you are? Practice detaching your sense of identity from all descriptors. Simply rest as a beloved in Christ.
When I celebrated 65 years old, seven years ago, my family gave me a large wall hanging that offered 65 different reasons why they loved me. Needless to say, I treasure it as the most concise example of “Who I am” by ones who I love dearly.
Who am I? As I prepare to turn 72, I am husband, father, grandfather and friend. To bring the ‘kingdom of God’ into the world each day, I cannot detach myself from those roles. It is for them and for all living beings that I attempt to practice the two great commandments and the gift of the Holy Spirit — love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, to which I also add forgiveness and generosity. Maybe the more succinct answer is that God is Love and I am blessed that it flows through me.
- Posted by Shawn Hampton on August 23, 2020 at 8:26 pm #107939
- Posted by Kathleen M. Kelly on August 24, 2020 at 12:25 pm #107950
going to the heart level as i return to god throughout the day seems a good way to disengage from any commentaries about who ( i think) i am. of course each day, i cobble together a self to function but it is not real , just a facsimile.
- so, my intention is ro listen from the heart, speak from the heart and act from that wordless place within.
wish me luck!
- Posted by linda rhead on August 24, 2020 at 4:13 pm #107952
- Posted by Kathleen M. Kelly on August 25, 2020 at 1:07 pm #107968
- Posted by Adeline Behm on August 29, 2020 at 11:12 pm #108049
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.