Reply To: Sunday July 10: Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

Home Forums Word of the Week Sessions Sunday July 10: Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Reply To: Sunday July 10: Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

Posted by Susan Kenney on July 10, 2022 at 2:05 pm #125800

Who is “the person in the ditch” here in Sacramento?  The people living in homeless encampments. The encampments are increasingly visible and have become a matter of community concern and some political posturing.  Sadly, public policy is trending toward making homelessness a crime. Last Sunday’s newspaper presented a balanced description of the situation; however, most quotes were from public officials, not from homeless advocacy/outreach groups or the campers themselves. I wrote a letter to the editor suggesting that these other groups and individuals be given a chance to speak  their truth.  They may have solutions that are creative and life supporting.  I rarely encounter the people in the camps; I suspect my main fear would be my physical limitations in reaching an encampment not what I would find when I got there. (Many camps are along the river where the terrain is uneven and sometimes inaccessible. So, I use my voice as best I can.