Reply To: Sunday April 3 – Taking The Stone Away; A Life-Giving Rhythm

Home Forums Word of the Week Sessions Sunday April 3 – Taking The Stone Away; A Life-Giving Rhythm Reply To: Sunday April 3 – Taking The Stone Away; A Life-Giving Rhythm

Posted by Susan Kenney on April 5, 2022 at 2:14 pm #122851

The stone in my heart. This morning as I found a stone for our time together,

I asked that the stone be removed from my heart. I realized that I had been protecting  myself from the reality of the mass shooting in Sacramento. Tears and memories came flooding back. I had worked at the Sequoia Hotel, a single room occupancy hotel located on the block where the shootings had occurred. Many residents were isolated, without family or  support. They often died alone and might not be discovered for several days. We would have a memorial service for each, sometimes finding photos and relatives. The person’s life then became bigger than that little room where they had lived. The message:  no one will be forgotten, each life is important. As we mourn the six people who died on Sunday morning, I pray that I will take into my heart all of the sadness, remorse, and confusion that accompanies all who are in mourning.