Sunday February 6 – Risk Deep Waters

Home Forums Word of the Week Sessions Sunday February 6 – Risk Deep Waters

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Sunday February 6 – Risk Deep Waters
    • Posted by pbegeman on February 3, 2022 at 5:56 pm #121326

[link to full email]: https://mailchi.mp/coutreach/word-of-the-week-feb6

[excerpt from email]: Practice: “Don’t be afraid”

After reflecting on any one or all of  this week’s texts, you are invited to settle and spend a few minutes immersed in this audio visual experience of the ebb and flow of the waves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEnd8JIMii4

As you do:

Focus on your breathing.
      Be aware of your breath in, be aware of your breath out.
      The ebb and flow of the waves, is like the ebb and flow of your breath.
      Breath out all your negativity and fearfulness, breath in the fresh air of love, goodness and peace.

• Posted by slcreech_gtek_biz on February 6, 2022 at 12:27 pm #121378

Standing at the ocean’s edge, I remember how big God is, and how small I am. The roar of the waves drown out the voice of anxiety that is constantly chattering in my head. The dolphins playfulness reminds me of the joy of the simple things of life. I am renewed and refreshed.

• Posted by Susan Smith-Stefaniuk on February 6, 2022 at 1:26 pm #121381

I am a landlubber. I love the idea of walking on the beach watching the ocean, but I like having the sand beneath my feet. I like riverboat travel, with the option of getting out on either bank, and canalboats are the best. The words ” push out into deep water” are terrifying and an ocean cruise is unthinkable.

But the LORD calls me to deep water; surrender of control to Him and welcoming what He brings to each day, even to getting out of the boat. Terrifying unless trusting: I did not feel this way when I was younger. When I was more trusting, He led me to new cultures and experiences which I still treasure, and He showed me signs and wonders in the lives around me and in my own life. What happened? loss. grief. betrayal. pain.

How do I grow beyond these and get back in the boat and out on the ocean again? The waves are calling.

• Posted by Adeline Behm on February 6, 2022 at 11:10 pm #121385

As I begin this week with Jesus stepping into the boat of my life. Over the years of my life Jesus has thus surprised me many times. Each time a burst of anxiety. Do I have it in me one more time? This morning the phrase one of the hymns:” Can you leave yourself behind, If I but call your name? (one more time)(paraphrase). So, with attention, intentionally I breathe into each succeeding moment , with openness…..receiving/embracing the moment as it is, exhaling surrendering  desire for security, approval, powerless, one more kairos time.

• Posted by Brenda Bayne on February 7, 2022 at 7:17 pm #121399

Thank you for this meditation Pamela.  No thinking as I watched – I let the sight and sounds wash over me then closed my eyes and breathed to the sound of the waves.  Awareness of even that stopped as I just let the sounds fill me and wash over me.  It was an enriching and soothing experience and one to which I shall return.

• Posted by pbegeman on February 7, 2022 at 7:55 pm #121400

Brenda: All thanks goes to John Farrelly, one of the Word of the Week team members, who suggested this meditation. Kudos to you for actually taking up the invitation and allowing it to wash over you. – Pamela

• Posted by Susan Kenney on February 8, 2022 at 3:13 pm #121419

“A change of course for the whole people”. It seems that – as a whole people – we have been thrust into the deep waters of the pandemic. Wave after wave of unpredictability. When we finally arrive on shore, how will be different?  How will our course have been changed?

• Posted by carolyndgoddard_gmail_com on February 11, 2022 at 12:22 pm #121477

When I have been in deep waters, it was generally not by choice. I prefer the alleged safety of staying close to shore. Yet what gifts I have received after being plunged into deeper waters. What beauty I have seen underwater. And I have always eventually found the ground back under my feet.

I want to follow Simon’s lead and be willing to push back out to deep waters when asked to do so. Maybe now the rhythm of the waves will help calm any anxiety I might feel.

• Posted by Adeline Behm on February 12, 2022 at 1:19 am #121501

Beginning as such  an overpowering experience of the waves I wanted to escape, but something in me prompted me to stay until it gave me its name; it’s name lamentation. I am in a swirl of lamentation, so much lamentation, named and unnamed, discombobulated, until perhaps 40 minutes later , the ebb and flow  of mercy, mer-cy; I am in the strong steady embrace of MERCY. Have I been as Rilke says: to limits of my longing, where wrapped in ‘mercy upon mercy, upon mercy’  there is a path through lamentation cries of my city, my province, my country, my heart?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Adeline Behm.
    • Posted by linda rhead on February 12, 2022 at 11:03 pm #121515

Sunday February 6: Risk Deep Waters

Breathe in My peace.

Breathe out – No feeling is final.

Breathe in new life.

Breathe out – don’t be afraid.

<3 linda

• Posted by Brenda Bayne on February 13, 2022 at 9:33 am #121516

Thank you for this Breath Prayer, Linda

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.